Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Memorial Day papercut~

This papercut was inspired as I strolled down memory lane pouring over many photos of my trip to Washington, D.C. years ago.  I remember being impressed with Arlington National Cemetery, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Washington Cathedral and its surrounding gardens.  It was a somber place and the rainy weather seemed to magnify my mood.  As I watched the soldier march relentlessly back and forth guarding the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, I could not help but think of all those graves which were marked with crosses on the meadows all around us.  Although they, too, were 'unknown' to me, I made a commitment to myself that day to treat those I knew with more understanding, respect, and dignity so as not to allow any of those 'unknowns' to have died in vain.


"Flags and Crosses"
3" x 6 1/4"

Ceremonies are important.
But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops
and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies.
We honor the dead best by treating the living well.
~Jennifer M. Granholm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!